Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions
- How much is my policy worth? — Generally, your policy’s worth is determined by your age and health condition, the face amount of the policy, and the policy premiums. These factors will all be determined once we receive permission to check into your policy, which begins by you answering some simple questions with us. Once we have received this information, Esteem America will work very hard to ensure that you receive the highest possible settlement.
- How long does this process take? — The entire process takes approximately 45-60 days, though each case will vary. The sooner we complete the information documents together, the faster we can get the process started!
- Why should I sell my policy? — There are many benefits to selling your policy! Often, premiums can increase over time and become unaffordable. Perhaps a medical issue arose unexpectedly, and you now have more bills to pay. Or, maybe you are just looking to supplement your retirement income. Whatever your needs may be, selling your policy for a Life Settlement may be the right decision for you!
- How much is this going to cost? — Our services are free of charge, and you have no obligation to sell your policy or to accept any offer.
- How is this going to affect my taxes? — Due to the varying nature of the financial statuses of our client base, we are unable to provide any legal information about your specific tax obligations. Depending on your situation, if you do get a settlement, you may or may not have to pay taxes. We advise each of our clients to consult with their CPA and or tax professional for more information. It’s important to remember that if you do get a great settlement, and if you do have to pay taxes, you’re still ahead of the game! You would be getting more money for your policy with a Life Settlement than you would if you were to let it lapse.
- Who is going to buy my policy / Are you going to buy my policy? — Your life insurance policy will be purchased by a company that specializes in Life Settlement investment portfolios.
- What type of policies can be sold in a settlement/Is my policy type eligible? — Universal Life, Whole Life, Term, and Convertible Term Life insurance policies issued by US-based insurance carriers, as well as Joint and Second-to-Die policies, are eligible.
- Will I have to pay any premiums after my policy is sold? — No. Once your policy is sold, you have no future premium obligations whatsoever.
- How did you get my information? — You called and spoke with one of our Life Settlement Professionals, or you filled out a form requesting we call to speak with you about potentially selling a life insurance policy you may no longer want or need.
- Why do I need Esteem America? — Can’t I just sell this policy on my own? — Life Settlements are complex legal and financial transactions. Compliance regulations continually change, further complicating matters. Professional assistance is necessary not only to comply with all regulatory requirements, but also to maximize your policy’s value.
- Wouldn’t it be easier to just surrender my policy to my insurance carrier? — This can be a costly decision and is something we strongly advise against. Generally, the surrender amount is only a fraction of what you can sell it for in the Life Settlement market.